Thursday 16 February 2012

Be My Valentine?

So the weekend before Valentine's day me and my best friend made cupcakes! Yay! What's more fun? On the 14th, the actual Valentines day i spent most of the day sleeping and studying math. I spent the day with my math tutor! haha. Lots of fun learning "functions". Blah.

Anyways i bet you wanna know what i baked! i baked Devil's food cupcake with SMB!



This was the first time i ever made Swiss Meringue Buttercream. I have tried numerous time before. The first time i made it, i started to mix the egg whites and the butter at the same time. Big mistake. It became a white liquid with chunks of butter in it. the second time i attempted it (almost a year later!) a year later, it turned out way too thin. The third time i attempted it was when i made the Red velvet cupcakes for my friend's part, I should have mixed it longer but i didn't, i ended up adding cornstarch and icing sugar to the buttercream to thicken it and spread it.

This was the fourth time and it came out PERFECTLY. I did it the exact same way as "the third try", except this time i just beat it for longer (i have a hand held mixer), and it came out AMAZING. Just GREAT. After making this buttercream i don't think I'm ever going to make my regular ones. Well, maybe.







Swiss Meringue Buttercream is REALLY worth the time and effort. It has a wonderful, creamy, thick, buttery consistency and its not an overly sweet frosting. Really worth trying!

I hope everyone had a wonderful Valentine's day! :)

Happy baking!

xxxxx

4 comments:

  1. These are absolutely lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lauren,
    So glad you got the buttercream down pat or you would have made these adorable cupcakes for us. Hope you had a lovely Valentine's Day.
    -Gina-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, I don't know how I missed this post. I had subscribed to your blog but somehow did not get the message for new post :(. Anyway, these look too good to be true. I hope the lucky recepients were very happy....I hope you had a very good Valentine's day.

    Mini

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you guys all so much!!!
      i would have responded earlier but i've been... baking :P and reading. ill be posting what i made soon!

      I hope everyone had a wonderful valentine's day as well!

      thanks again :)

      Delete